PR Account Director – Maternity Cover
Client Services | Technology, London
We are April Six, a marketing and communications agency with 20+ years of experience. We exist to make moments that matter for organisations that are shaping the future. We work with some of the most exciting, forward-thinking technology, science and mobility brands in the world today.
We are 120 talented strategists, creatives and client managers located across the UK, Europe, North America and Asia. Our team combines agency technology, science communication, journalism and in-house corporate communications experience, to deliver exceptional results for our clients.
About the role
We’re currently recruiting for an Account Director to join our team for a 12-14 month maternity cover contract beginning in Q4 2022.
Working in our Science, Engineering and Innovation team, you’ll be working with some of the brightest people and organisations on the planet. You’ll be handling subjects as diverse as fundamental science, space, health, energy, artificial intelligence, smart cities and many more. This is a great opportunity to gain a diversity of experience partnering with organisations that are genuinely doing good, and work on stories that have the potential to change the world, all in an extremely friendly environment. Prior experience in science and/or engineering is beneficial but not essential, although enthusiasm for these sectors would be a significant advantage. A B2B technology background would be equally advantageous.
In this role you’ll oversee the work we do for some of the most exciting organisations in our client base. This means developing and presenting long term strategy, leading on the direction of accounts and being responsible for the success of client relationships. Experience delivering multi-channel campaigns and a solid understanding of marketing and PR principles, including how owned, earned, paid and social channels can be leveraged, is crucial.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing account activity and resource planning, ensuring all work is in line with client expectations and agreed plans, including short term as well as big picture planning
- Strategy development and implementation
- Management of client budgets and understanding of profitability techniques
- Team management, mentoring and coaching
- Identification and conversion of client growth opportunities, including leading on proposal development, to secure further work with our client base
- Acting as an ambassador of client service best practice and quality control, to support the wider team to deliver work that perfectly aligns with our clients’ expectations
- Researching and contributing ideas to keep our campaigns at the leading-edge of industry creativity and best practice
- Understanding and effectively implementing measurement and evaluation principles.
- Advanced presentation skills, including slide deck development
- Managing and negotiating with suppliers; delivering clear briefs to suppliers, managing their deadlines and ensuring the quality of results
- Supporting new business pitches, including research, brainstorming and presenting to prospective clients
Experience and characteristics required:
- Substantial PR and communications experience, ideally within an agency or in-house experience in science, engineering, health and/or technology
- Excellent writer, content creator and communicator
- Experienced in creating and managing multi-channel campaigns
- Excellent project planning skills and experience managing teams (both internally and client-side)
- The ability to anticipate potential barriers to success and proactively identify solutions to overcome them
- Fluency in capturing and analysing campaign performance metrics
- Highly organised with the ability to effectively prioritise and manage your own time autonomously
- Interest in science, engineering and innovation related subjects an advantage
- Proactive and supportive team player, with a willingness to contribute new ideas / challenge the status quo
Desirable but not essential:
- Proficiency with various social media platforms, including campaign planning, delivering best practice content, and the ability to utilise best practice approaches to increase engagement
- Experience with designing and/or delivering paid social media campaigns
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to produce accurate and engaging copy for clients including complex science and engineering subject matters
- Experience planning and delivering events (including virtual), from programme curation to logistical planning and execution
- Experience with audience mapping and competitor/peer brand profiling
- Experience of networking and business development
And in return?
Apart from working with a cracking bunch of people, we have a number of initiatives to help nurture our talent as well as some nice perks to make life a little easier:
- Highly competitive salary depending on experience
- Room to Grow appraisal system with individualised growth objectives and real time feedback
- Professional development plan – we look to support skills growth with internal support and coaching, alongside online and in-person training and development opportunities
- 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Health care cash back scheme (giving you money back for health related fees such as dental appointments, contact lenses, prescriptions or physio)
- 24 hour GP phone or video consultations and a 24 hour helpline offering counselling and supportive information
- An hour every week to have a “Moment that matters for you” – to relax, exercise or pursue something that’s important to you
- Lunch on the company once a month
- Whole agency bubbles for significant pitch wins
- Refer A Friend scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
Is that it?
Pretty much. Although it’s worth knowing that in addition to all of this, April Six is part of The Mission Group, a collation of 13 multi-disciplined, entrepreneurial agencies that include integrated, multi-sector agencies and specialists in particular markets. We employ 1,100 people across 25 offices in the UK, Asia and the US.
April Six embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We’re committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re an equal opportunity employer and to reflect our global position, we embrace best practice approaches to diversity and inclusion in the regions where we operate.