PR Senior Account Executive (Science, Engineering & Innovation)
PR | Science, London
London & homeworking
We are April Six, a marketing and communications agency with 20+ years of experience. We exist to make moments that matter, for organisations that are shaping the future. We work with some of the most exciting, forward thinking technology, science and mobility brands in the world today.
We are 120 talented strategists, creatives and client managers located across the UK, Europe, North America and Asia. Our team combines agency technology, science communication, journalism and in-house corporate communications experience, to deliver exceptional results for our clients.
About the role
We’re currently recruiting for a PR Senior Account Executive to join our Science, Engineering and Innovation team, which works with some of the brightest people and organisations on the planet. Every day we are handling subject matters from fundamental science to space, health, energy, artificial intelligence, smart cities and many more.
We’re looking for someone with genuine enthusiasm and passion for the work we do here, so we’ll want to hear why working in science and engineering is exciting to you. Prior experience in this space is beneficial but not essential, as long as a keen interest is there.
As part of your day-to-day responsibilities, you’ll play a crucial role in the delivery of high quality PR results for our client base, including developing compelling short and long-form content, landing media coverage, engaging with influencers, and delivering social media campaigns. The work is extremely varied and offers an array of opportunities to broaden your communications experience while working on fascinating subjects that genuinely do good in the world.
We’re ideally looking for someone with solid experience under their belt who can make an immediate impact, alongside an appetite to quickly hone account management skills and be ready to step-up into a more senior role within a relatively short space of time. Crucial to this will be your ability to maintain the culture of excellence we pride ourselves on – setting an example for and nurturing more junior members of the team.
Strong writing skills, an ability to handle complex subjects, and confidence in dealing with journalists, clients and senior stakeholders are also a must.
Key responsibilities include:
- Becoming a trusted day-to-day contact for clients on accounts and leading parts of calls and meetings
- Ensuring clients are up-to-date on the progress of activities and results generated, through structured and appropriate reporting
- Supporting account managers and/or account directors to ensure work is delivered on time and to the highest possible quality, including project management responsibility for isolated activities
- Management and mentoring of junior members of staff within account teams
- Long and short-form copywriting for a variety of platforms and often on complex subjects
- Media relations activities, including media monitoring, trends analysis, opportunity-spotting and media liaison
- Social media planning, content development and implementation (organic and paid)
- Event management and planning
- Sector-specific research, and contributing new ideas and observations from the wider communications industry
- Supporting new business pitches, including research, brainstorming and presenting to prospective clients
Ideal experience / characteristics required:
- Genuine interest (and ideally previous academic or work experience) in science, engineering and innovation related subjects
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in a similar PR role (not necessarily within an agency)
- Highly organised with the ability to effectively prioritise and manage your own time autonomously
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to produce accurate and engaging copy for clients including complex science and engineering subject matters
- A solid grounding in media relations and possessing a clear interest in following the news agenda and identifying ways to influence it
- A successful track record of pitching stories to national, trade and online media
- Proficiency with various social media platforms and ability to utilise best practice approaches to increase engagement
- Proactive and supportive team player, with a willingness to contribute new ideas / challenge the status quo
- Fast-learner, with a keen interest of PR as part of the wider communications mix and able to collaborate effectively with creative, marketing and public affairs teams
- Room to Grow appraisal system with individualised growth objectives and real time feedback
- Professional development plan – we look to support creative skills growth with internal support and coaching, alongside online and in-person training and courses
- 28 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays). After 5 years’ service, an additional 2 days holiday per year.
- Health Care cash back scheme
- Refer A Friend Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Remote working options available